local neighborhood vineyard/wineries? Here's an easy recipe from your friends at The Inn at Sugar Hollow Farm that is sure to delight:
You will need the following:
1 750 ml bottle of Virginia red wine
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
2 slices of ginger
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
4 large cinnamon sticks
* Pour red wine into a stainless steel saucepan and gradually heat. Never boil!
* In another saucepan, heat the water to a near boil and slowly stir in the sugar until dissolved.
* Add spices to the sugar water, then add this mixture to the saucepan of red wine. Cover the simmering mixture for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse. Be sure to check the concoction at regular intervals to see if the taste suits you.
* You can always add more sugar or spice as the mixture is brewing.
* Pour liquid into Irish coffee cups and garnish with cinnamon sticks. Serves four to five people
(You can also add fruit to this recipe, including finely grated zest of 1/2 a lemon or 1 orange, but avoid the bitter white pith. Or choose to add the freshly squeezed juice of about 1 or 2 oranges).
~ Recipe found in December/January issue of Albemarle Magazine.
Happy Holidays from:
Dick and Hayden Cabell
The Inn at Sugar Hollow Farm (Near Charlottesville, VA)
6051 Sugar Hollow Road
Crozet, VA 22932
Awarded the Certificate of Excellence by TripAdvisor.com
Selected for Travelers' Choice Award
Top B&B Inns in America by TripAdvisor.com
Become Our Fan on Facebook http://www.sugarhollow.com/facebook
Follow Us on Twitter http://twitter.com/sugarhollowinn